Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Healthy Bran Muffins to Feed the Flock

(adapted from Deseret News)
I love these because they are a healthy, low fat, low calorie alternative to muffins. They are LOADED with fiber! And I love it because you can add whatever you want to the mix for variety. You can grate apples, carrots or zucchini. I've added applesauce and blueberries and they were yummy. This makes a huge amount of muffins, so what I did was add some extra flour to about half of the batter to make a cookie dough. Added some chocolate chips, and they made chocolate cake-like cookies. They've been a huge hit with the boys!

2 cups boiling water
2 cups oatmeal
3 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups unprocessed bran (or bran flakes)
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
3/4 teaspoons allspice or cloves
3/4 teaspoons nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1 egg
3 egg whites
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
4 cups milk
4 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Combine the boiling water and the oatmeal in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the milk and bran and set aside.
3. Combine the whole wheat flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda, spices, raisins and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg and egg whites; beat in the honey, brown sugar, canola oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat the bran flakes and oatmeal into the egg mixture. Beat with a hand mixer if necessary to break up the oatmela. Beat until no large lumps of oatmeal remain.
4. Add the flour mixture, and combine with a few swift strokes. Do not overbeat.

This can be kept for 6 weeks tightly covered in the refrigerator, baking as needed.

5. Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes

Makes 72 muffins

Note - to make the cookies I added enough flour to make a gooey cookie dough. Then I baked them for 10 minutes at 350.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! carolyn wanted to make muffins today and I didn't love the recipe i used....i can NOT wait to use this one! i think we'll make this next week, too! i can't wait!! thanks a bunch! i love all the recipes you have posted!

    ReplyDelete