We use a lot of beans at our house. They make great finger food for the little ones, are great for lots of different salads, and of course are great with chili, tacos, and other homemade dishes.
I prefer using dried beans to canned because I feel like they are healthier and definitely much cheaper. The only problem is, it always takes so much time to soak and cook the beans and I don't always plan the meal that far in advance. Plus, when the recipe calls for several different types of beans, I don't have time to soak and cook them all separately.
So, this is what I've been doing lately and it works great.
I soak and cook a huge batch of one particular bean (this past week I did red beans one day and white beans another day). Then, I put 1-2 cups of the beans in individual ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. Now, whenever I'm making a dish that requires beans, I can just take out the ones I need to defrost and use. Sweet!
Anyway, just a random tip that has saved me time.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment