I got this recipe from a lady in my old ward. I love it. It takes time to make it so I have a big tortilla making "party" once in a while and keep some out and freeze the rest. I haven't perfected making them yet - I think that it takes time.
To cook the tortillas, you do it as you would a pancake. Put it on a grill and wait until you start seeing a few bubbles on the top (while the other side is browning) and then flip it over and wait for the other side to brown a little bit.
(this makes a lot of tortillas...you may want to half it)
3 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. hot water
2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. olive oil
3 more c. of whole wheat
Mix the first four ingredients well. Add the remainder of flour and form a big ball. Knead for 3 minutes. Then, form small balls of dough (depending on how big you want the tortillas) and keep the balls under a damp towel. Then, roll out the balls and cook.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wonder if a different kind of wheat would make them thinner and easier to work with. Like a white hard wheat? I don't know...
ReplyDelete